Martin Aspeli wrote:

A lot of people go with Plone initially based strongly on how easy it is to
customise and re-use elements of the UI. I really don't want to take that
incentive away from them. Yet, as I understand, if global_contentmenu.pt was
implemented as a View, they couldn't customise it TTW and it would be more
difficult (in fact, in my journey through the Five and some of the Z3
documentation, I've yet to discover how) to override this even if they were
prepared to set up a bunch of directories and XML files.

then you wouldn't customize the view, you would customize the *template* used by the view..

Martin, this is why I'm asking: are you sure you want to customize the entire *view* TTW or just the resources used by the view?

So, whilst CPSSkins probably is a long term better solution for many of the
original use cases, it's unlikely to form a core part of the Plone UI in the
near future, and indeed unlikely to be appropriate for every type of
application.

which use cases?

In the interest of evolution, I'd like to find out how to make it
as easy as possible for people to override templates that are parts of views.
Unfortunately I'm still lost. :)

Martin

Then see my previous post that explains how to customize "templates that are part of views", replacing the word "template" with "resources" ...

cheers
/JM