On Dec 6, 2005, at 8:26 AM, Benji York wrote:

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
Before starting it up, I was thinking that it would be nice if the whole Z3 community would be using the same toolkit, and maybe, even integrate
it into Z3 itself.

I think that instead of settling one a single toolkit we should come up with some simple ideas for offering up server-side components for the client to use. That way we can easier to use (almost) any client-side toolkit with Zope 3.

If this sounds like a good Idea, I would like to start a Z3 proposal on
this topic, and contribute on its integration in Z3.

I'm very interested in coming up with a one or more relatively simple server-side proposals to make Ajax stuff easier, but I think the Ajax stuff (and even the whole JavaScript world) is too immature to settle on one client-side implementation. Therefore we should concentrate on doing things that help most or all of the JS toolkits be more usable with Z3.

Agree 100% with Benji.

I have two basic bits on the server side that I want to see--and that I want to see usable by widget code, portlet code, etc.

- I want a standard server side traversal story to address nested page components, so that, for instance, client-side code for a widget in a portlet can have a reliable way of addressing itself on the server.

- I want this approach to be part of--or at least not get in the way of--a standard pattern for persisting the state of nested page components.

I have old proposals for this, and some revisions of them on the basis of conversations with Jim, Fred, Stephan, and Benji. I'll try to get some bandwidth to update the proposals at least. I really wanted to have time to test how the proposal would work within the new widget implementation I have, but I have other priorities on my time.

FWIW, as far as Ajax libraries, ZC has chosen mochikit so far. It has a lot going for it.