Hi there,

after a good discussion with Steve Alexander, I gave my Simplify Skinning
proposal
(http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifySkinning) yet another overhaul.

Basically, it now proposes to go one step further: Layers and skins will always
be simple
interfaces extending IBrowserRequest. The only difference between skins and
layers is
that only skins are registered as local utilities under a human readable name
whereas
layers are plain old boring interfaces with no extra marker (it's not needed at
all).

Along with that we can get rid of the <browser:skin /> and <browser:layer />
ZCML
directives and simply reuse existing, much simpler directives from the standard
Component
Architecture (<interface /> and <utility />). This is not only a good step
towards
reducing the ZCML directive proliferation, it's also a reflection of what's
going on
under the hood. If we simplify under the hood, the Zope 3 developer should
benefit from
that simplification as well. That's now happening.

The rest of the changes deal with small harmonizations that should make the
understanding
of certain patterns easier (if they're always the same).

Looking-for-comments-as-usual-ly

Philipp