Benji York wrote:
In this case we'd have to mark all characters but the space as "safe". This isn't the "normal" type of URI quoting issue, this problem arises because nothing else in the call chain quotes the spaces

Ah, okay, nice to have would be a docstring to avoid people like me misinterpretting what the method is for.

(Mechanize or urllib) because they don't need to, but HTTPCaller does a .split() on the first line of the request so there can be no unexpected spaces. Any other character is acceptable.

Hmm, is it correct for HTTPCaller to do a split like this?

Maybe a .split(' ',3) or whatever would be better?