I didn't find the info I was looking for in the unit tests and docs for the testrunner:

How are layers defined? Are they just a class with a setUp and tearDown classmethod? Is it enough to provide a layer attribute in the layer class? Is there a use of a 'base' attribute or is it just the unit tests for the testrunners that have it (they are full of "# Internal to samples. Not part of layer API" so it's hard to know).

How does a test class reference a layer? Just by setting the layer attribute to the dotted name of the class? Or to the class itself?

Along what algorithm does the --layer directive match layers? Is it an exact match, or a substring? A prefix? How does the base come into play?

Also, what's the intent behind no-tearDown layers?

Thanks,

Florent