Brian Sutherland wrote:
On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 07:13:16AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
Why wait until we are close to the release?

Because I only realized it was causing a headache for me yesterday.

I greatly appreciate your working on Debian packaging.  I encourage
you to take time-based releases into account when doing this.  You should
try to create Debian based on each of our beta releases, so you don't find out
late that there is a problem.

>>I am willing to consider a 3.2.1 release for this *after* the final.
> That would also be fine.

OK, if you want to proceed with this, then we'll do that.

Why do you think you need to do this?

It is related to the debian packaging of zope 3. It is common practice
with these packages to remove modules that can be provided by other
debian packages. So far this has been the case only with pytz and docutils.

I'm guessing that this is an issue because you install
Zope's into site-packages and you don't want a Zope installed
package to clobber a package that is separately packaged. Is that right?

The normal way to install Zope is in it's own directory.  In this case,
a package supplied with Zope only affects Zope.  In which case, I don't
see the need to rip it out.  In fact, I would prefer that Zope use the
versions of packages that came with it, since these are the versions
it has been tested with. OTOH, if you create a distribution that omits
packages that are provided separately, you are taking on responsibility for
assuring that the installed Zope works properly.  I can understand why you
would want to do this.

The relevant code in the debian rules file is (yes, I know it is nasty,
but there doesn't seem to be a "right way"):

    zbase    = Zope-3.2.0b2

    unpack: unpack-stamp
            tar xfz $(zbase).tgz
            mv $(zbase) z
            # Remove docutils and pytz modules packaged in separate packages
            rm -rf z/Dependencies/docutils*
            rm -rf z/Dependencies/pytz*

I also need to do the same with mechanize and it's dependencies. Since
the latest version of mechanize depends on pullparser 0.0.7, I also need
to remove pullparser. This is more difficult with the way pullparser
is tied into zope today.

Pullparser is currently distributed within the zope.testbrowser package.
It can't interfere with anything else. I suppose you just want to eliminate
the duplication.

CTO                  (540) 361-1714
Zope Corporation