[Dieter Maurer]
> If the backward compatibility period gets shorter,
> we will skip more and more releases because of the increased burden
> to get our applications running again...

Well, every new release will remove features deprecated N releases
ago, where N is presumably some constant whose value is being debated
here.  That will be so in steady state whether N is 1 or 10 (i.e., the
value of N doesn't really matter to that):  the pressure to recode
(and your temptation to skip releases) is related more to the
frequency of releases than to the length of the deprecation grace