On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:37:08 -0800, Fred Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2/7/06, Paul Winkler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As I said before, I'm +0 on enhancing the brand,
-1 on adding release codenames.

IMO codenames make it harder, not easier, to talk about releases.
Which came first - Cheetah or Puma?  I submit that nobody but
a certified mac geek can answer that question without googling it.

I agree with Paul here.  Version relationships are important for
technical audiences, and names don't help wirth that.  I don't know
what would help with marketing, but I suspect a general brand would be
more helpful than version codenames.

The only version codename I'm likely to remember is that for Ubuntu 6.04. :-)

The original discussion never suggested code names for releases, but a brand name to help Zope 3 separate itself from Zope 2 - since it is a *completely* different beast.

Code names for releases is only useful inside the team, IMO - unless you have the marketing power of designing a themed logo for every release (like Apple did - and it still creates confusion, so they dropped that for 10.4 Tiger - no stripes there, sir).