Chris Withers wrote:
A big -1 from me.
This is yet more complexity and more stuff that Zope shouldn't try to do. If you want to serve flat files, use Apache.

From my understanding this is not only about serving flat files.

OTOH I think that it may be possible to make Apache to do this:

"Let's add some ZCML directives that define how to interpret filenames in the web root by their extension."

"The .zodb file would specify what kind of storage to open, where to find it, and what object to load from it. In a sense, the web root would mount the object database."

Tonico