On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:40:51 -0000, Shane Hathaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

An idea just occurred to me. I think others have probably had similar ideas, but didn't express it in the right place or time.

Part 1: Let's put an Apache-like web root

Part 2: Let's add some ZCML directives that define how to interpret filenames in the web root by their extension. Let's also interpret special per-directory files that map URI names to filenames, similar to Apache .htaccess files.

So, I'm serving static content like Apache, I'm interpreting file types like Apache and I'm using .htaccess files like Apache. But I'm using Zope.

Why am I not just using Apache?
Would I be learning this beast that is Zope?

Part 3: One kind of file we can put in the web root serves as a gateway into an object database.

Or use RewriteRules?

P.S. I would be more excited if there was a similarly integrated story for RDBMS. P.P.S. I think Zope is great in large part because of the ZODB, not in spite of it P.P.P.S. I agree that having alternate ways of storing information is attractive