On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:56:23 -0000, Shane Hathaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Wade Leftwich wrote:
+1 from the standpoint of promoting corporate adoption, especially when
combined with first-class citizenship for RDBMS. (In the corporation I
work for, anyway.)

Yes, RDBMS would become a first-class citizen. New users would be able to write some page templates and SQL scripts on the filesystem and have them work with no extra effort. I know I'd like that capability myself. However, I expect ZODB to continue to be the dominant platform for writing Zope applications, because ZODB is quite productive for writing abstract applications.

Zope is a feast with many kinds of food. When people come to the feast, most are not willing to try everything at once, particularly the entrees from the land of OODBMS. First let them have some familiar foods. When they find out how finely prepared the food is, they'll be ready to try the meaty main course. Although many will still prefer the RDBMS salads.

I think this is an interesting idea, and I certanly like the goal of lowering the bar of entry. However, I wonder if we're not just proposing two fundamentally orthogonal ways of working. One uses python modules with logic in adapters, views on objects with page templates etc. that all operate on content objects in an object store. Another a hierarchy of page templates or static pages and mounted databases. This latter way of working is lot more like the "traditional" model that's found in anything from PHP to JSF, and quite frankly is therefore probably easier to swallow. But would it at the same time integrate well with the rest of the Zope world, and with arguably better ways of working? And how difficult would it be to move from one model to the other? Honestly, I don't know the answer. I'm neither for or against your proposal, I just want to understand it, because I *want* to like it - I want to see Zope leverage more of the technologies and environments people from the outside world are used to working in.

--
(muted)