Shane Hathaway wrote:

Zope is a feast with many kinds of food. When people come to the feast, most are not willing to try everything at once, particularly the entrees from the land of OODBMS. First let them have some familiar foods. When they find out how finely prepared the food is, they'll be ready to try the meaty main course. Although many will still prefer the RDBMS salads.
Sometimes the ZODB (the OODBMS you speak of) isn't appropriate for the environment your app will live in. Many apps aren't stand-alone.. they need to integrate and share data with other systems. Most of those systems already know how to use an RDBMS, so the path of least resistance is to use one of those. I'm sure the ZODB is probably the best solution for most applications that are stand-alone, Zope only - but as soon as you need to start architecting a complex set of tools that all interoperate an RDBMS seems like a better idea.

... or perhaps I'm simply suffering from RDBMS brain-damage, after using them for so long.