Shaun Cutts said the following on 2006-02-14 07:37:

Here here! I'm just learning to cross the gap starting from the RDBMS
side. Just our initial deployment will have a DB growing by about 30K
numbers per day, day in and day out. There are various workflows that
are driven by this data. The parts of these that need people are now
supposed to be available via Zope3.

In my case, the business logic is in python, so I don't need (or want)
to access the db directly, but I do need "hollow", paged containers that
live in the ZODB themselves but display data that lives elsewhere. I've
started implementation, (... stumbling along so far... any comments on:

I have very similar needs, though in my case I want to use Zope as the GUI-engine and value-adder for a lot of integration work we do.

I have seriously considered trying out Django and similar tools to see if they would fit better with the kind of applications I need to do, but I really like the power that Zope as a platform offers, even in Zope 2.

In an ideal world, Zope can be used as a toolkit for *applications*, not just content-centric solutions. Lots of the features that zope2/3 has make a lot of sense in terms of designing applications in general, even outside the content-centric mind-box.

If the tools and feature that Zope provide become easier to integrate in an non-Zope envireonment, I think that Zope will eventually come out as the tool of choice for any projects that needs to do more than "setup a simple website", which in my experience amounts to about 80% of the use cases out there :-).

So I think that Shanes proposal is a step in the right direction.

My 0.02 SEK

Lyrics applied to programming & application design:
"emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - redemption song, b. marley