On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:06:03PM +0100, Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
> Yes, that's what I mean. Clearsilver is a good example. There are
> several advantages:
>
> - the data structures are platform-independent (they can be encoded in
> JSON, C, python), and they can be easily converted from one language to
> another, even to and from XML,  this simplifies the transport too (e.g.
> in Ajax, webservices)
>
> - the template does less, it does not need to know anything about zope,
> it works faster, the data access from inside the template is not an
> access to the ZODB ...
>
> - it is possible to create a simple schema definition from the data
> structure itself (this is what I've done in the Ajax toolkit I'm writing)

Another advantage:

- the template itself is truly platform-independent

... which is attractive in mixed-platform environments.

The StringTemplate guy has an interesting take on
templating and model/view separation:
http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~parrt/papers/mvc.templates.pdf

Particularly the stuff about the five rules implied by
strict model-view separation.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com