Benji York wrote:
Gary Poster wrote:
What if we still deprecated browser:layer but kept a redefined version of browser:skin? Then your zcml--

      <interface
          interface=".interfaces.ShanghaiSkin"
          type="zope.publisher.interfaces.browser.IBrowserSkinType"
          />

      <utility
          component=".interfaces.ShanghaiSkin"
          provides="zope.publisher.interfaces.browser.IBrowserSkinType"
          name="ShanghaiSkin"
          />

could become

     <browser:skin component=".interfaces.ShanghaiSkin" name="ShanghaiSkin" />

Even though it's longer, I still like the interface/utility version. I think it really helps the developer understand what's going on and that it's not magic. The decreased brevity is of secondary concern to me.

Helping the developer understand what's happening is laudable, but that's ultimately the job of documentation. When line count reduction is as drastic as the above, I really don't have a problem with having shortcut ZCML directives.

Florent