On Mar 1, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Michael Kerrin wrote:

so it doesn't get to the locking tests (which will fail) but this is good
thing to aim at :-)

Hey Michael. What are you planning to do with the locking stuff? I'd like to see zope.locking (http://svn.zope.org/zope.locking/) used, rather than zope.app.locking. It learns from zope.app.locking while also addressing some issues and adding some features. I don't have time to do much about proposing it and integrating it, though. Maybe I can squeeze in a bit next week or week after.

If Jim successfully gets zc.sharing open sourced today then we have some zope.locking/zc.sharing integration that (as one integration option for zope.locking tokens) can filter so that only people with locks have edit privileges. It seems to work pretty well, but it's also just one way to use the zope.locking tokens. As with zope.app.locking, the "locks" themselves are purely advisory until you put in some code to make them enforced somehow.

zope.locking can do exclusive lock tokens, shared lock tokens, freeze tokens (effectively, no one gets the lock), and can also support custom tokens if you need them.