To answer the question at the end of your document: yes. Please continue on, showing the next smallest possible next step that is interesting. Hopefully this step can be done with making the viewer confront interfaces, adapters, etc.

About the middle part, what's really needed to ensure newbies get a positive, confidence-building first experience?

Scaffolding.

Your document shows the chants needed that most newcomers wouldn't expect they should be aware of. Let's eliminate that, for that audience (if we care about that audience, which might be a different discussion.)

One little Python script, maintained as part of the standard distribution, referred to ubiquitously as the right way to start, would have more impact on Zope adoption than nearly any other software activity (save, perhaps, for zope.bobo). All IMO, of course.

--Paul

Darryl Cousins wrote:
Hi All,

I enjoyed the fasterbettercheaper lecture. And it got me thinking about
why I'm using Z3. Wanting to get that in words I took the hello world
acid test:

http://www.treefernwebservices.co.nz/hello.html

Fun: 1.0

Enjoy your weekend.