Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
> During the Zope3 sprint following PyCon, Paul and I, with Jim's
> guidance,  began work on exploring how Zope can utilize eggs and be
> packaged using eggs.  Since we're still experimenting with how eggs
> will be used, I wrote a script, zpkgegg, which reads the zpkg
> configuration information for a package and generates a "standard"
> setup.py from which an egg and vanilla sdist can be generated.
> You can find the script in subversion in the projectsupport project.
> For a brief overview of how the script is used, see README.txt (in
> http://svn.zope.org/projectsupport/trunk/src/zpkgegg/).  The eggs
> generated by zpkgegg do not attempt to distinguish between "runtime",
> "testing" or "development" dependencies, so almost all packages will
> want zope.testing.  README.txt contains a brief example of how to
> point easy_install at the appropriate folders so that easy_install can
> resolve the dependencies.
> Note that at this point we're still experimenting with how we'll use
> eggs, so suggestions, feedback and comments are welcome.

I've been playing around a lot, trying to get at least the eggs together
to make ZPT usable outside of Zope (one of the original sprint goals).
I have a couple of observations:

1. Putting 'setup.cfg' under version control sucks, because the
  'develop' framework scribbles on it.  I think we should do two things:

  - Move any "special" settings to a 'setup.cfg.in', and modify the
    workspace stuff to read that first when creating setup.cfg.

  - Make 'setup.cfg' a 'svn:ignore' file (at lest on the trunk).

2. Getting the development dependencies installed was harder than
   it seemed.  Some packages (perhaps with help from a stanza in
   'setup.cfg') could do that when running 'develop.py';  others
   needed me to run 'setup.py develop'.  Maybe we should just kick
   off 'setup.py develop' at the end of the 'develop.py' dance?

3. I was hoping to get 'setup.py test' working, but that command
   in setuptools doesn't honor the command-line arguments for egg

4. We need to begin creatinng "released" versions of the eggs (maybe
   numbering them according to the Z3 release they point into), and
   reorganizing the download page a bit (maybe "development" builds
   need to go on one page, and "release" builds on another).

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)