On Mar 16, 2006, at 11:42 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

Hey Roger,

Great to have you onboard on this!

Roger Ineichen wrote:
didn't Gary Poster start a widget refactoring?

Good question. I have no idea what the status of all that stuff is; whether anything got merged or not..

At ZC, several of us had enough experience with the zope widgets that we felt pretty confident that we wanted to start again, with a backwards compatibility story. We started, but ran out of steam, and didn't have a driving project for the changes, so we shelved it.

We have an upcoming project that will want the changes. Our current plan is to develop what we need as "zc.widget" or something, and open- source it at the end when it's what we need, in the hopes that some will find it compelling enough to join in the maintenance and further development (btw, thanks, dobe, for the work on resourcelibrary!). No public timeframe.

Doing it in the "zc" namespace is intended to make no assumptions about what happens with zope.app.form; zc.widget probably will have some backwards-compatibility with zope.app.form, but no dependencies.