[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> what I like to see is something like:

> Such a macro could be lookuped by a ITALESExpression
> called *macro* similar to the IContentProvider implementation.
>
> The *StandardMacros* could be a mapping registred as a python
> factory. The *StandardMacros/page* knows how to lookup a
> registred macro called *page* in the *StandardMacros*.
>
> See also my (a little old) proposal at:
> http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SimplifyMacroRegistration
>
> Note: the proposal is a little bit old and I whould
> change the directive browser:macros and make explicit use of
> a python factory rather then use a implicit mixin class.
>
> What do you think Philipp?

This isn't part of the discussion about this proposal.

Just to be clear:

* Having to register macros as pages when they're not meant to be
publishable sucks.

* @@standard_macros sucks a bit too (too much indirection). It sure
confuses people (like Tonico, as he says himself).

* I'd rather not invent a new ZCML directive nor a new TALES expression
type (I don't like this about viewlets and contentproviders).

I could imagine a new traversal namespace:
  <metal:macro use-macro="context/++macro++page" />

Here, 'page' is an adapter from (context, request) (it's a view) to
IMacro or something. It will also be registered as such (as a <view />
or just an <adapter />).

I think viewlets and contentproviders should have taken the same road
and used traversal namespaces. That's what they're for :).

If we shall discuss this any further, I suggest we move into a separate
thread.

Philipp