On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 01:27:36PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> Actually, the DirectMailDelivery utility also aborts emails if the
> transaction is aborted.  The reason for using Maildirs was to speed up
> the transaction commit -- if you send 100 emails in a transaction, you
> do not want to wait for 100 SMTP connections while the user is sitting
> in front of his browser waiting.  Creating a 100 files in the outgoing
> mail queue was supposed to be faster.

Thanks for fixing it Marius! I think your XP approach is fine ;-).

I agree you don't want blocking. Nevertheless should we not store it
in the ZODB instead - at least when ZODB is around?

I don't know what the policy is with ZOPE3, but I would think that we
should minimise deployment dependencies. Locating a directory is
such a dependency - and people using, for example, NFS may get into
trouble (though I think maildir tried to address that with that naming
and file moving scheme - it is ugly, arguably fragile and slow!).

Correct me if I am wrong.

Someone wrote that you can't pass the ZODB access from a web server
thread to a service/utility thread - "The mailer utility is global and
has no convenient access to the ZODB." Is that really true? Is there
no way to pass this info?

Pj.