I'm really not interested in a reload faclity, like the one commonly
used in Zope 2, that is not robust.  I've wasted too many hours
helping people debug problems that were caused by reload misshaps.

understood. perhaps intelligently disabling such facilities in Zope 2 might be wise since they are essentially broken right now (with products using z3 components).

re:limited reloading:

+1. I think the big win for reloading is iterating over code changes that effect UI directly. in that vein, having limited reload support for view components (or other similar ui elements) would be a boon to acceptance and a real aid to devel speed in the land of a million tiny cuts that is user interface development.