Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
I disagree. How would you make sure that your fix for even a "trivial"
NameError actually works? Perhaps you introduced another typo in the
bugfix? Or perhaps another problem pops up in the same codepath.
Clearly, since the NameError didn't occur in any other tests, the
codepath hasn't been tested yet, so it should be no matter what.

There's another aspect to tests for bugs: reproduceability. Especially
when fixing bugs I tend to write tests first in order to be absolutely
sure that I can reproduce the problem in an automated manner. Then
fixing the bug is "easy": Just make the test pass...

+sys.maxint to all of the above!