Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> See the following proposal:
>> http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ErrorReportingUnification
> +1, as posted in a comment already.
>> To be determined is whether we want to keep the rules currently in place
>> for the SiteError log and apply them to the error reporting utility as
>> well, or remove them for the SiteError log as well. I'd propose the
>> latter - it's evidently not an issue that all errors are reported in the
>> utility, so why suppress them in the logging?
> I'd be fine with that, but we'd still need to filter UserErrors,
> NotFound, etc. logged.
> UserError is thrown by a piece of software when it wants to know the
> user of the application about it (e.g. invalid container names). Such
> errors aren't of interest for the system error log, at least not
> normally.

Zope2's experience argues otherwise.  Having a log of the error allows
the developer to investigate an error reported by the user, even though
the user can't give enough information to allow reproduction.  *I* want
to be able to push such errors to the log;  *you* might never need to.
Ergo, it is policy, and needs to be managed as such.

> NotFound errors would occur every time IE tries to find
> favicon.ico, so again, not very useful...

That is more policy, though, and should be settable on the error log.
Sometimes getting the log of the NotFound is *important* in some cases,
even though it is useless most of the time.  This is an anti-case for
"emergent" behavior configured by adapters, IMHO;  better to configure
the "service" (the error log object, or its global equivalent) to handle
such choices.

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (GNU/Linux)