Chris Withers wrote:
Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
tests. We *did* have changes that generated deprecation warnings. But that's something else.

Not really, that for me is a non-backwards-compatible change, 'cos it requires me to rethink and recode, if not now then at some point in the future...

being, just pointing to the zope packages via deferred imports. Of course, the deferred imports generate deprecation warnings when executed.

Why?

Because they'll go away.

Why?

Because it's clutter. And because there should preferrably be only one way to do things. If we left all the old ways around indefinitely, we'd have code that uses two or more ways of doing the same thing all over the place. It would set bad examples, to begin with.

Theuni was recently very confused about the difference between three different APIs that do exactly the same thing (registering a utility). If we had deprecated at least the most confusing one of them (ztapi) already, it would probably have been much clearer.

Philipp