On 9/8/06, Dario Lopez-Kästen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lennart Regebro said the following on 09/07/2006 05:50 PM:
> On 9/7/06, Rocky Burt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> My experience so far... after not having touched a project for over a
>> year and than the client wanting some work done, they usually expect to
>> have to pay to have it upgraded.
> Well, in any case, they SHOULD expect that.

Yes, but we're not talkng about migrating from zope 2.6 to 3.3. We are
talking about people experiencing issues between 3.x to 3.3 here.

Zope 3.3 is not a "major new release with deeply incompatible changes
from 3.1", at least not if you look at the version numbers. If it was
then it perhaps it should have been versioned as 3.5 or even 4.0,
marking the impact on existing code obvious. For both developers and

I think customers expect not to pay a lot of money for migrating from
3.1 to 3.3 for instance. No matter how long the period of time between
those releases were (this is an example, of course)

Well What is "a lot". Migrating software from 3.1 to 3.3 shouldn't
take much more than a day or so, since the incompatibilities should be
mostly BBB marked. Once you have figured out how do move one specific
API use or ZCML statement changing the reast of the same type is

I think this is (or should be) a non-issue. The problem with the
changes, as mentioned before, is that it makes it hard to support more
than two versions of Zope at once. So the problem is if you have one
customer on Zope 3.1 and another on 3.3, using the same software, and
the 3.1 guys refuse to let you upgrade.

That's the problem. :-)