On Sep 12, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks for doing this work, Christian. I'm in favor of going for Zope 3.4 on a timely basis.

Concerning the delay of Zope 3.3, I think we should consider whether we're not too perfectionistic.

On the one hand core developers seem to be happy to use the trunk for development projects, and on the other hand we demand a lot of work doing bugfixes in a release, up to the point where we delay the release itself. That's a bit paradoxical - evidently the bugs aren't harmful enough to harm these developers much most of the time, but at the same time we consider them extremely harmful if they should appear in a release.

What about a policy where we fix bugs until the release date, and then on the release date, we actually release? Any bugs that are still in it are going to go with it.

Anyway, if the Gnome project can do time-based releases *on the date* we should be able to do it too.

Maybe they have more volunteers. I don't think our problem has been perfectionism. I think our problem has been a lack of will to fix things in a timely manner.

One problem we have is getting things to be tested. It hardly motivates people to test for and report bugs if their reports don't affect he release.

I think we have a serious problem that needs to be addressed. I don't think the right way to address it is to release despite known serious bugs. Note that some judgement goes into considering whether a bug is serious enough to block a release. We don't block a release for just any bug.

I can think of a number of ways to approach this problem:

1. Do less frequent releases.

2. Feature freeze the trunk until the previous release has made it to release candidate status

3. Release less. I think it's time to start thinking of some sort of "core" Zope 3 that we can manage with the very limited number of volunteers we have now.

4. Get more volunteers.

These are just some ideas. But something has to give and I don't think it should be responsible bug fixing prior to release.

CTO                             (540) 361-1714