On Sep 21, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

I've wanted it.  My major beef with the way we are *using* ZCML now is
that we expect package authors to provide policy-laden configuration for their packages ("sensible defaults") but provide no means for the admin to reuse that configuration selectively; their only realy choice is to
*copy* the configuration and edit it.

This is mostly true. I'll note that it is straightforward to override things. It isn't straightforward to disable things, especially subscribers.

Anyway, I think you raise a good point.

I argued *long* ago (after the first ZC-internal Zope3 sprint, I think)
that the '<include>' directive should be allowed to be complex, with
subelements like '<except>' or '<only>' to pull in specific directives.
 Such a practice would require either that we have XPath support
available, or else that we come up with a way to mark the directives
(e.g., a 'zcml:id' attribute).

I don't remember this, but I may have been focussed on other things. I definitely think it would be good to have something like this. It would be interesting to see some proposals with examples.

  It would *also* require that we
implement the "no side-effects during parsing" policy (my other favorite
"dead horse" in arguments about ZCML's implementation / usage).

Beat away. :) I've been in favor of this for some time. This is definitely a goal.

CTO                             (540) 361-1714