Jim Fulton wrote:
On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:

On Friday 22 September 2006 12:52, Martijn Faassen wrote:
I hope we can move to a pattern where projects gain a homepage somewhere
on zope.org, including doctests and some other information, and the
cheeseshop is used for everything else (pointing to the homepage on
zope.org with the 'url' field in setup.py).

Yep, me too. Sigh, I have to get to work again on the software site.

It could be argued that, given existing tools like pypi and launchpad, that we should focus on other things.

I think that we should look into leveraging pypi as much as possible, but that from a perspective of a project having a face and marketing it to developers, it's important that at least the larger projects have a homepage on zope.org.

The larger projects also will need a documentation presence larger than what can be comfortably stuffed into PyPi. Tutorials, etc.

I also consider it very important that we have at least a *list* on zope.org of zope 3 projects. :)

Stephan also worked hard on giving an idea of quality/maturity indication for Zope 3 projects. While I think we should go carefully with this, and definitely introduce such quality metrics gradually, I think that presenting *some* of this information to the public could be valuable over time. This cannot be presented on PyPi, so this is again an argument for a presence on zope.org.

That said, please continue using PyPi and I also don't mind using launchpad more; I definitely don't want to block anyone. I just consider it important to consider project identity. Having an identity can go a long way in creating a *community* around the software.