Dieter Maurer wrote:
Philipp von Weitershausen wrote at 2006-9-28 11:22 +0200:
The last time this was discussed with Jim, the idea was to try to use
Zope 3's security proxy approach in Zope 2 for Python Script security
- Jim and I had some ideas I need to dredge up from the back of my

I am quite fearful in this regard:

  Lots of existing code rely on the fact that trusted code
  can do anything without to worry about security.

  As security proxies restrict trusted code, too (though trusted
  code can remove the wrapper), we might get more security
  at the cost of massive backward incompatibility.

I agree. This isn't an easy task, pretty much like all tasks in this overall migration :/

Knowing both systems (Zope 2's guarded_getattr vs. Zope3's security proxies and checkers), all I can say is that Zope 3 security proxies cause much less headaches, because they make security an intrinsic property of the individual objects, and not of the system that deals with the objects.

Like Jim is suggesting, we should probably support both approaches for the time being.