Jim Fulton wrote:

I've written an informational proposal stating the goal for
eliminating side effects, other than import, during the first phase
of configuration processing and generally minimizing first phase
processing. This will lead toward refactoring most existing
configuration directives.

I don't expect this to be controversial, but comments are welcome.

You only mention one example for side effects (putting a global object into a module and using them later), so I presume that the refactorings will mainly be targeting this case.

Do you already have specific plans on how to move the path resolving/validating into the handlers, and how to provide backward compatibility for 3rd-party directives? Right now the proposal is quite high-level...