Rocky Burt wrote:
On Mon, 2006-23-10 at 07:54 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
Seems strange to have to differentiate between
"regular" packages and egg-available packages.  Perhaps I'm expecting
too much from eggs... having been spoiled by jars.
We aren't taking about import. We are talking about reading files.

Indeed, as am I.

You can't use the same API for reading files from eggs (or jars) and
for reading files from a file system.  The current package option
reads data from the file system.

Right, this is where java's ClassLoader.getResource bridges things in
java-land.  It can load files from *anywhere* on the classpath,
including within jars.

Perhaps we should change the package option so that it uses the pkg_resources
API to load ZCML files from packages.  There are still cases where egg !=
that would need to be addressed specifically.

So pkg_resources isn't smart enough to either load from the filesystem
directly or from within an egg?

AFAIK, It only loads from eggs.  I may be mistaken though.
Perhaps someone could verify whether pkg_resources can
be used to load from non-egg packages.

CTO                  (540) 361-1714
Zope Corporation