Fred Drake wrote:
Resending; something went wrong along the way...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Fred Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Oct 23, 2006 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: Zope Configuration Egg Support
To: Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Rocky Burt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Zope 3 Development <>

On 10/23/06, Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Perhaps we should change the package option so that it uses the pkg_resources API to load ZCML files from packages. There are still cases where egg != package
that would need to be addressed specifically.

There's this draft proposal; I guess it's time for me to finish this:

This reflects work I did at the Goldegg packaging sprint in San Jose.
The changes from the branch should be easy to move forward if people
agree that it's a reasonable approach.  It offers the advantages that
1) there's already code, with tests, and 2) it works with all imports
from ZIP files, not just eggs.

So I guess for loading configuration files, it uses a more general API.
I think this is good for the case where we load from a package.

I think we need to think harder about the file-access API.  I'm not sure
what the point of making file references string subclasses is.  Some other
questions on the file-resource API:

- What is the basepath argument to the new method used for?

- What is the "context" of the caller to packageReference?

Finally, we need to be able to deal with some cases that pkg_resources
will deal with that I think the API you used won't, namely:

- setuptools namespace packages, and

CTO                  (540) 361-1714
Zope Corporation