Christian Theune wrote:
The problem you have is to provide a specification for the 'str' interface.

There are a couple of problems here...

1. str is both a "function" and a "class"

2. I was to register the "function" str as an adapter for, say, the "class" int to the "class" str, so there's not factory for the adapter, since it's a function

Let's create a marker interface that promises everything that 'str' does:

class IString(zope.interface.Interface):
    """A marker for the 'str' interface."""

As discussed elsewhere, you shouldn't need the marker interface, as you can adapt classes. However, given the edge-case nature of this, I can believe there might be "bugs" to be found here...

Now, you can setup your adapter like this:

Well, that's not right ;-)

should be:

...and factory="str" is wrong for the reasons given above, or, put differently, because str()(1) will tell you that strings aren't callable ;-)