On Jan 12, 2007, at 6:33 PM, Marius Gedminas wrote:

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:17:18PM -0500, Benji York wrote:
Marius Gedminas wrote:
I have implemented a --list-modules option in a branch. It causes the test runner to apply package and module name filters, and then print the
list of Python module names that would be imported.  It is very fast
because it doesn't actually import the modules. It is not very accurate because it does not pay attention to test name patterns or layer filtering.

Would this option be useful to anybody?

If its output were identical to the tests that were actually going to be
selected, then I think it'd be worth including.

That would be the proposed --list-tests option, wouldn't it?

Or do you want a list of modules that have at least one test remaining
after all the filtering (including --layer, --level and --test) is done?

I might use --list-modules for test-running debugging (i.e., it's not finding my test--is it because it is not finding my module, or what?). That said, I can imagine more helpful tools for that use case (i.e., a way to verbosely list all filters in play...if there's not already something like that).

So what's your use cases for all of these?

I generally like the sound of these (modules, files, and tests), and yes, I'd prefer this further-limited behavior for --list-tests.