--On 14. Januar 2007 10:48:06 +0100 Bernd Dorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am not sure if this behavior is intentional?! Is the XMLParser
supposed
to deal with unicode strings or will it only accept a standard
Python string? A workaround inside parseString() would to check for
unicode
and convert the string on-the-fly to a Python string with utf-8
encoding.
This is possibly a limitation of the underlying Expat parser...any
recommendation how to deal with this issue?

IMHO it should only accept strings, because in the value should be a xml
string and therefore always has to be encoded in 'utf-8' or in the
encoding specified in the processing instruction.

I disagree with that. Since Zope 3 is supposed to use unicode internally
(at least that's the legend) it should support unicode also at the parser level. Other languages like Java store XML also as unicode strings and support parsing it.

Andreas