Andreas Jung wrote:

the XMLParser.parseString() method  raises an exception

 File "/opt/python-2.4.4/lib/python2.4/", line 260, in run
File "/Users/ajung_data/sandboxes/Zope/Zope/lib/python/zope/tal/tests/", line 127, in test_xx
   self._run_check(xml, ())
File "/Users/ajung_data/sandboxes/Zope/Zope/lib/python/zope/tal/tests/", line 106, in _run_check
File "/Users/ajung_data/sandboxes/Zope/Zope/lib/python/zope/tal/", line 77, in parseString
   self.parser.Parse(s, 1)
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 43-48: ordinal not in range(128)

if the string to be parsed is a unicode strings and contains some non-ascii
chars. The following snippet from a private unittest (
shows the error.

   def test_xx(self):
xml = unicode('<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><foo>üöä</foo>', 'iso-8859-15')
       self._run_check(xml, ())

I am not sure if this behavior is intentional?! Is the XMLParser supposed
to deal with unicode strings or will it only accept a standard Python string?

Traditionally, you parse an 8bit string, figure out its encoding (e.g. from <?xml encoding="utf-8"?> and return some representation of that XML with unicode data. That's why it's actually quite ok for XML parsers to only accept string data.

With ZPTs it's a bit different: When editing ZPTs TTW for example, we like to store its source in unicode. So it makes sense for us to be able to parse unicode input as XML.

A workaround inside parseString() would to check for unicode
and convert the string on-the-fly to a Python string with utf-8 encoding.
This is possibly a limitation of the underlying Expat parser...any recommendation how to deal with this issue?

Fixed it in 3.3 and trunk. If you had given me a bit more time, this could even have been in 2.10.2b :). Oh well, I guess that's what 2.10.2 will be for ;)

2nd edition of Web Component Development with Zope 3 is now shipping!