On 14 Jan 2007, at 19:14 , Chris Withers wrote:
Dieter Maurer wrote:
A halfway intelligent parser would accept Unicode when it gets it
and concentrate on the remaining part of its task: either reporting
structural events or building a parse tree.

The trivial fix I use in Twiddler is as follows:

if isinstance(source,unicode):
  source = source.encode('utf-8')

It's the same fix I used.

Of course, this assumes a heading of either <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> or a missing encoding attribute, in which case the xml spec states that the string must be utf-8 encoded.

The problem comes when someone sends you something like:

u'<?xml version="1.0" encoding="something-else"?><node />'

What should be done then?

Not sure. We could ignore it or raise an error. I'm inclined to ignore it.