Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
A workaround inside parseString() would to check for unicode
and convert the string on-the-fly to a Python string with utf-8 encoding.
This is possibly a limitation of the underlying Expat parser...any recommendation how to deal with this issue?

Fixed it in 3.3 and trunk. If you had given me a bit more time, this could even have been in 2.10.2b :). Oh well, I guess that's what 2.10.2 will be for ;)

What did you fix? Please see my posting for a dangerous ambiguity:

u"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO 8859-1" ?>"