On Jan 20, 2007, at 6:09 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

Hey All,

I'm still continuing poking around (when I have the chance) to see how I'd get Zope running without ZODB.

Does the following line:

db = zope.app.appsetup.appsetup.multi_database(options.databases)[0] [0]

http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/app/server/main.py? rev=71011&view=markup

...mean that Zope 3 is currently hard-coded to need a ZODB?

That depends on what you mean by Zope 3. If you define "Zope 3" as zope.app.server.main, or zope.app.twisted.main, then yes, it is. I wouldn't define it that way, although I can see how others might. :)

If so, how should we go about making this optional?

You would need to write a different main program that did something else. You would need to understand how the publisher framework worked and plug in an alternate publication that traversed to non-ZODB objects. Unfortunately, these frameworks were written before we got the doctest religion, so there's no document that I'm aware of that explains how to do this. It isn't very complicated. I have a strong itch to write such a document, but I don't know when I'll get around to scratching it. I don't know if any of books get into this.

(I am willing to put the work in to make this happen if people give me some hints...)

Other people have already made this happen. I don't know if any of their code is public or if they have written up what they've done.

CTO                             (540) 361-1714