Adam Groszer wrote:
Ugh, my bad I didn't notice that passwords may be Unicode strings. I
think password should be encoded to UTF-8 before processing but I don't
know that to do with backward compatibility. As an option we can introduce new Unicode-aware password managers. Opinions?

Thinking it further, I think that nobody was able to enter accented
passwords until today :-)

I want to believe that most use more secure password managers which fit their needs. :-)

and UTF-8 is encoding ASCII to ASCII (does
it change anything???).

I think it's OK.

IMHO it would not hurt adding an UTF-8 encoding to the current
password manager.
Anybody against that?

+1 I can commit the changes if nobody objects.

Dmitry Vasiliev <dima at>