On May 30, 2007, at 9:02 AM, Bernd Dorn wrote:

Hi all

As already discussed in former topics on this list, we have some outstanding decisions regarding to version numbers in zope* packages.

I think this is resolved. The version numbers of any package that has it's own source tree are free to change according to the following rules:

- the version numbers increase

- We follow the version number rules.  The rules are:

  - The last (right-most) number is for bug fixes

  - The second-last number is for feature changes.

- IMO, backward incompatibility, and therefore, deprecation, is no- longer an option.

An open question in my mind is whether we should use 2 numbers or 3. But maybe that should be a different thread. :)

Currently nearly all package versions are at 3.4.0b1, which is a big pain when needing to update a package.

For example:

We have a small change in zope.app.session
The version is at 3.4.0b1
Now we want to upload a new source distribution to download.zope.org

What version number should be used?

Is the small change a feature change? Or a bug fix?

Would be nice if we had given virgin version numbers to packages such as 1.0.

It's too late. I also don't think it matters what the version numbers are as long as they are free to increase as needed/

If we now have an update, we need to use something like 3.4.1 and users may think this version is in sync with zope versions.

<shrug>  They'll learn that that isn't the case.

It is additionally odd, because of the fact that zope 3.4 will not be an egg based release.

Our questions:

Would it be possible to revert the revision numbers to 1.0 (we think if they are not in pypi and only on download.zope.org we can delete the releases from there)

If we cannot go back to 1.0, what shall we use for intermediate releases?

Just follow the rules. For bug fixes, increment the last digit, or, if the current release is 3.4.0b1, then go for 3.4.0. For smaller packages. I doubt that alpha and beta releases are needed. For larger more complicated packages, like ZODB, they still probably are.

For feature releases, increement th second last number.

It would be nice if we (at least jodok, me (dobe), juergen, christian theuni, jim) can discuss this in berlin and maybe write a proposal on how to set versions correctly for various cases.

I don't think that is needed. The key is that the version numbers are now free. :)
"You're free zope.app.session. Fly!"

CTO                             (540) 361-1714