On Jun 27, 2007, at 2:30 AM, Bernd Dorn wrote:
On 26.06.2007, at 21:44, Gary Poster wrote:
On Jun 26, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Bernd Dorn wrote:
i think as long the package has a dev dependency like ZODB 3.9 it should at least have alpha or beta status
Hi Bernd.


because it pulls in software that has development status like zodb 3.9 and the release of 3.9 will take at least a half a year from now on imho.

My basic response--"don't use this version of zope.app.keyreference"-- doesn't appear to be sufficient for you (or Theuni, from his "Specifying upper limits in dependencies" email today). It is ok for me because my project is specifying versions, which is also the strategy he says he is pursuing. I don't know of a better one, actually. Both you and he seem to be looking for one though, which I appreciate.

gary, is it possible to be compatible to 3.8 too?

Not productively. We could have "if the PersistentReference doesn't have the 3.9 stuff then just refuse to do a ConflictError" but then that's no different that the keyreference 3.4 behavior. Heh, actually, that's effectively the behavior we probably have now for keyreference 3.5dev running against ZODB 3.8, since errors in the conflict resolution will simply cause the resolution to fail, and the 3.5dev changes would generate AttributeErrors against ZODB 3.8 during conflict resolution.

So...it would be a bit of a lie to claim to be compatible with 3.8. The changes are useless without the 3.9 changes. But the code *should* technically work with the same restrictions we have now. That said, I don't really want to support the changes against 3.8.

...I could move the releases to our ZC download location, rather than the zope.org one, if folks want...

i don't think that this is a good idea, for example our company uses both of the download locations

Well, I can move it any number of places, but this does sound like a hack, hiding the basic problem.

What's the problem? I'm happy to help, especially if it doesn't take too much time, and you can wait a day or two.

ok, i think if another new feature is implemented in keyreference and we want this feature for zodb3.8 we have to do a version inbetween, so if you call this a 3.5 release, what should that other version be? 3.6

I guess this is a problem.  I certainly understand the story.

We (the community/dev mailing list) had said before that you needed to start a new major version when you broke backwards compatibility. I did not break backwards compatibility, I just depended on a new feature of another package. The only answer I see to solve the story you just told is to also say that you have to rev the major version whenever you depend on the new feature of another package.

However, I am afraid that this would lead to ugly (and expensive to maintain) if-else clauses in our software, or rapidly escalating version numbers, and even maintaining multiple branches simultaneously.

Dependencies are precisely what is supposed to address this problem, I thought.

we use egg based releases and if you hardcode the zodb 3.9 dependency in setup.py we have to switch to zodb3.9 just because of that package if we want to use a new feature of it

maybe i am anticipating here and it's best to make it zodb 3.8 compatible when we need a newer version of keyreference for some reason. the problem with this is, that we (zope committers) can do this, but another company may not be able to change the package.

- Jim is not available to comment right now, AFAIK. I'm sure he'll have some thoughts here.

- For this particular problem, I wish my ZODB changes could go into ZODB 3.8. As I mentioned in the commit message, the change includes one bug fix for a potentially serious problem that could cause data integrity issues; one new feature (more informative PersisntentReferences) that supports an arguable zope.app.keyreference bugfix (conflict resolution breaks with persistent key references; and one feature (conflict resolution now supports multi databases). Then I'd argue that the zope.app.keyreference change could go into 3.4.

- Even if people agreed with me for the previous bullet, that doesn't make this kind of problem go away.

- Also for this particular problem, I suppose I could remove the dependency on ZODB 3.9 and add a test to show that it should still "work" (as well as it did before at least) with ZODB 3.8 persistent references. I'd really rather not, of course, but I can do it in the next week and a half. I guess it would still be "3.5" but it wouldn't depend on 3.9 (...except to actually have any improvements over 3.4!)

My current opinion is that version numbers are the best solution of a bad lot.

Zope3-dev mailing list
Unsub: http://mail.zope.org/mailman/options/zope3-dev/archive%40mail-archive.com

Reply via email to