On Jun 27, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

the recent introduction of zope.app.keyreference-3.5dev with it's
dependency on ZODB 3.9 brought some issues for me as I get conflicts in
various buildouts (e.g. z3c.zalchemy).

In my example, z3c.zalchemy doesn't care about which version of
zope.app.keyreference it gets, as even the newer one won't affect us.

I'd like to re-visit the discussion about "stable package versions" and
how to approach the distutils list to get what we want.

Currently I resolve this issue by putting a specific version in my
project's buildout and leave the package (e.g. z3c.zalchemy) alone.

I'm not sure whether this is the strategy we should use. Should
z3c.zalchemy say: I'm good with zope.app.keyreference==3.4 (with our
proposed syntax, or <3.5dev with the current syntax)?

I'd like to see some consensus on how we handle those ...

Agreed. I just expressed some thoughts about this in my reply to Bernd. In sum, I currently believe that what you describe is the best solution of a bad lot. Dependencies are supposed to solve this problem, so let them. I try to give a bit more argument for my position in the other email.