On 02.07.2007, at 20:54, Jim Fulton wrote:

See me response to Gary's note.

Here's what I propose:

1. We adopt the policy that a distribution's version number must be of less or equal maturity than all of it's dependencies, where maturity is based on it's position in the release cycle. dev is less mature than alpha is less mature than beta is less mature than release candidate is less mature than final. So, for example, dev release of zope.app.keyreference can depend on a dev release of ZODB3, but an alpha release of zope.app.keyreference cannot. Initially, this will be a convention. Eventually, I'll add a feature to buildout to warn when this policy is violated.

+1

+10 to the policy violation warning

2. We approach the distutils sig with a feature request for an option to prefer final versions, so that, if we specify the new option, we always get the newest final version that satisfies a requirement, if there is one. I suggest that this be --prefer- final. Anyone want to volunteer to bring this up there? :) I don't think we'll see this feature any time soon.

3. I add a prefer-final option to buildout to prefer final versions. I think I can do this in the next week.

what about having some kind of '--min-maturity=beta' where the options are 'dev', 'a', 'b', 'c', 'final' or so

i don't know the exact syntax, but we have to take care of the right version syntax, because it seems that there is no policy that defines how maturity levels are defined

e.g: x.x.xdev x.x.xax x.x.xbx x.x.xcx

we have some packages around that have x.x.x.dev x.x.x-dev and i think they are considered newer than x.x.xa1

Thoughts?

Jim