Marius Gedminas wrote:
doctests have special rules for exceptions that are different from the
rules of normal output matching.

If a statement raises an exception, the output part must be of the form

  Traceback (most recent call last):
  <exception type>: <exception value>

You can use ellipsis in the exception value part, IIRC.

But I wouldn't recommend using them. Sometimes, using ellipses are fine, but generally they obfuscate the doctest when you're reading it. I suggesting using the regex-normalizer [1]. There are many packages out there that use it if you're looking for examples.