On Aug 22, 2007, at 10:50 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
I would argue that hiding old releases is a major misfeature of PyPI,
personally: humans probably have as much to gain from seeing the older
versions as scripts.

Agreed, although the UI degrades quite a bit when there are multiple unhidden releases. PyPI could use quite a bit of improvement. The place to get involved is the catalog sig. :)

  Even "brown bag" releases should remain available
(albeit, with perhaps some way to tag them as problematic).

Hidden releases are still available.

I certainly think there is value in hiding many old releases, especially non-final ones, as long as the releases are still available for download.

Releasing a software package is a contract which implies more than
"flavor of the week" status, at least in lots of circles.

It is important that releases remain available and finable by setuptools. The simple index achieves that.

CTO                             (540) 361-1714