Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
Deliverables
------------

* zc.buildout's extends mechanism would have to be enhanced to be able to load files from HTTP locations.

Apparently this already works, I just tested it. I did not bother trying this out before because I didn't think buildout already supported it. Yay!

That's quite cool, but I still see a couple of downsides with this.

- It only works through buildout. Ideally it would be supported at the setuptools level, imho.

- I worry that the management of lots .cfg files could be cumbersome. For Plone, we could probably generate one from the dist_plone package, which otherwise lists "known working sets" for installers and plone.recipe.plone.

- This doesn't really solve the dependency problem. I can't say, "Give me Plone 3.0.1 or newer" in a third party package. That could probably done by having a separate "Plone" meta-egg which uses >= type dependency specifications, though.

All in all, it looks like a workable solution, though. I'd like to try it out in practice, certainly.

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress