Stephan Richter wrote:
On Wednesday 26 September 2007 04:49, Christian Theune wrote:
The issue is that the eggs were released as ZIP files and for some
reason those don't work correctly with the data files.

I can reproduce the problem by creating the packages myself as ZIP files
(doesn't work) and then as tar files (does work).

Okay, thanks a lot for this research. So this is a problem that noone could anticipate. Roger tried the eggs on his machine and they worked there.

Yes, this is really a weird setuptools bug. Apparently it can't properly install package metadata from ZIP distributions on Linux and Mac.

So that's something we learned: We have to make tag.gz releases.

Yes. You can do this via

  python sdist --format=gztar