Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
 On 27 Sep 2007, at 13:47 , Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Thursday 27 September 2007 07:18, Philipp von Weitershausen
> wrote:
>> These are four separate cases where I've actually witnessed
>> myself or other people mess up. We're forgetful, we can't do
>> anything about that. We can, however, force us to catch our
>> mistakes. I believe that if we made everybody create the tarballs
>> from the tag, it would improve the situation a lot.
> Of course, an additional or other approach would be to implement a
> tool that checks various things. I agree that the problems you
> listed are solvable with doing the release from the tag, but there
> are cases that are not caught:
> 1. In your last case, if bajium would have used "svn switch
> --relocate" the file would still be around and the release would
> work. I imagine that most people would use "svn switch" because
> making another checkout is just a package management mess.

 Why is making another checkout a package management mess? Go to /tmp
 or ~/temp or whatever, get the checkout, do your release stuff and
 delete it again. Is this so hard? Sorry, but I fail to see how this
 is messy.

 Also, regardless of what you imagine people do, if the process says
 "get a new, fresh checkout" then this is what people should do. If
 they use svn switch instead, then they're not following the process.
 End of story.

Release from a fresh tag check out is always good.

I have released eggs before and after my mistake.   After my mistake,
I created check list for my convenience here:
An now I am making release from tag checkouts.

Baiju M